|The Shamokin and Coal Township Public Library was incorporated in April 1941 under the auspices of the Shamokin Woman’s Club. Thwarted by both World War II and a lack of funds, the area’s first Library did not open its doors until September 20, 1953 at 508 North Eighth Street and ten years later, at 69 East Independence Street.
The Library moved into its present location at 210 East Independence Street in June 1967 following the use of over $135,000 in federal Appalachian grants. The grants were used to turn the former Wolfe’s Department Store into a Public Library.
The Public Library provides services to the 20,912 residents of the Shamokin Area School District including the communities of Shamokin, Coal Township, Shamokin Township, and East Cameron Township. The building that houses the library is owned and largely maintained by the City of Shamokin. The two-storied 12,209 square foot facility is pleasant, well lighted and decorated, and welcoming to patrons of all ages.
Currently the Library provides year round adult and children’s programming by a friendly staff of 3 full-time library aides, a part- time book keeper and a full -time professional librarian. It also maintains a collection of approximately 56,000 books, magazines and newspapers, DVDs, books on CD/tape, graphic novels, comic books, and microfilm for interested local patrons or those possessing memberships in other public libraries under the AccessPA statewide borrowing program. An automated Spark/Evergreen circulation system is utilized. There are 8 internet access computers and free Wi-Fi available to the public.
Through the POWER Library program, the Library now provides its patrons home access to thousands of periodical articles, newspapers, photographs, pictures, charts, maps, and reference materials for all age groups.
Below are images of the three locations of the library.